|Colleen, Patsy and me standing next to the movie poster for Fifty Shades of Grey in the lobby of the UA Breckenridge Stadium 12 Movie Theater|
On March 8, 2015, I saw the movie Fifty Shades of Grey with my friends Colleen and Patsy. We all graduated from high school in Little Rock together and have been friends for more than 30 years. I’m a widow, one of my friends is divorced and the other one has been married for over 25 years. Between the three of us, we have six children, including five daughters that are in the age range of the main character, Anastasia, a senior in college. None us have read any of the books in the Fifty Shades of Grey series but decided we wanted to watch the movie together.
I have been writing this blog for more than four years now and of the many movie reviews I have written, the review I wrote for the Faith-Based movie When The Game Stands Tall, published on September 16, 2014, has received 221 views, the most of any of my movie reviews.
Based on my own reaction and those of my two friends, I decided to write a blog entry about all the questions I had as a mother of daughters while watching this movie.
Movie Description: Literature student Anastasia Steele’s (Dakota Johnson) life changes forever when she meets handsome, yet tormented, billionaire Christian Grey (Jamie Dornan).
Release Date: Friday, February 13, 2013
Running Time: 2 hours and 5 minutes
Motion Picture Rating (MPAA): Rated R for strong sexual content including dialogue, some unusual behavior and graphic nudity, and for language.
Director: Sam Taylor-Johnson
Writers: Kelly Marcel – screenplay and E.L. James – novel
|Dakota Johnson, the twenty-five-year-old daughter of actors Don Johnson and Melanie Griffith, stars as Anastasia Steele, also know as Ana, in the movie Fifty Shades of Grey.|
|Irish actor Jamie Dornan, who appeared in the TV Series Once Upon a Time from 2011-2013 stars as Christian Grey, the main title character of the movie Fifty Shades of Grey.|
|Academy Award Winner Marcia Gay Harden appears as Grace Grey, Christian’s mother.|
|Two-Time Tony Award Winner Jennifer Ehle appears as Carla, Anastasia’s mother.|
|Eloise Mumford appears as Kate Kavanagh, Anastasia’s roommate.|
|Max Martini appears as Taylor, Christian Grey’s driver.|
Leslie’s Comment (Some Spoilers Included!)
- College student
Anastasia first meets businessman Christian Grey when she agrees to interview him for a school project for her roommate Kate who is sick and unable to conduct the interview. Colleen and I were both on our high school newspaper staff and majored in Communications in college but never had our roommates fill in for us!
- Colleen told me later that she wished that someone in the production crew would have given Dakota Johnson a hair brush to use during filming because her hair looked stringy in most of the scenes.
- Patsy started laughing in one scene and then that turned into a coughing spell so bad she had to use her inhaler to breath.
- As the mother of a daughter who is about to graduate from college in May and is currently looking for a job, I wondered when Anastasia discussed the “contract” with Christian about the requirement for her to stay in his condo several days each week, if he would also pay her monthly apartment rent.
- In the movie, Christian tells Anastasia that he was adopted by the wealthy Grey family when he was four years old. Colleen and Patsy said they wish the movie would have explained further about his early upbringing and reasons for his dominant behavior.
- We all loved the new recliner seats in the UA Breckenridge Stadium 12 Movie Theater in Little Rock!